About me > Curriculum Vitae
M.A. in Liberal Studies, College of Staten Island, City University of New York, 2004.
M.S. in Library & Information Science, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,1994.
Graduate Diploma in English Language & Literature, Hunan Normal University, China, 1987.
B.A. in English Language and Literature, Hunan Normal University, China,1982.
Certificate in Multimedia Content for the World Wide Web, New York Univ., 2002
Webmaster Program Certificate, Penn State University, 2001.
Associate Professor/ Instruction/ Reference Libraian, College of Staten Island, CUNY, 2012-present
Assistant Professor / Coordinator of Periodicals Services, College of Staten Island, CUNY, 2002-2011
Assistant Curator, Technology Instruction Librarian, NYU School of Medicine, 8/2001-11/2002
Assistant Branch Librarian / Senior Librarian, Brooklyn Public Library, 6/1994-7/2001
Instructor, Foreign Languages Department, Xiangtan University, China, 9/1987-7/1988
English Teacher, Xiangtan No. 2 High School, China, 9/1982-8/1985
ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL HONORS:
Member of the Eta Lambda Chapter of the Phi Beta Delta, the honor society for international scholars at CSI, CUNY, May 2011-present
Recipient of the Frederick M. Binder MALS (M.A. in Liberal Studies) Faculty Award for Outstanding Scholarly Achievement. College of Staten Island, City University of New York, 2004
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1993-1994
Xiao, Judy. “Integrating Information Literacy into Blackboard: Librarian-Faculty Collaboration for Successful Student Learning.” Library Management 31.8/9 (2010): 654-668
Jeffreys, Marianne, Mary O’Donnell, and Judy Xiao. “Chapter 7, Case Exemplar: Linking Strategies Together – Spotlight on the Cultural Discovery Integrated Approach.” Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing and Health Care: Inquiry, Action, and Innovation. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2010. 183-205.
Xiao, Judy, and David Traboulay. "Integrating Information Literacy into the Graduate Liberal Arts Curriculum: A Faculty-Librarian Collaborative Course Model." Public Services Quarterly 3.3/4 (2007): 173-192. Simultaneously published in Libraries and Graduate Students: Building Connections, a book edited by Gretta E. Siegel, published by Haworth Press, 2007.
Xiao, Judy, and Doris Choy. “Collaborating for Information Literacy.” Academic Exchange Quarterly 10.4 (2006):166-170.
Xiao, Judy. "Resources in Transcultural Nursing: A Library Orientation Program for Nursing Students." Journal of Multicultural Nursing and Health 11.2 (2005): 56-63.
Xiao, Judy. "Dong Kingman." The Scribner’s Encyclopedia of American Lives. Vol.6. Ed. Jackson, Kenneth T., Karen Markoe, and Arnold Markoe. New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2004. 276-277.
Matveev, Alexei, and Judy Xiao. "Information Literacy in Business Education: A Case of Faculty-Librarian Collaboration in Teaching an Undergraduate International Management Course.” Northeast Business & Economics Association 2012 Conference Proceedings, Port Jefferson, New York (2012): 223-225.
Xiao, Judy. “Collaborating for Student Success: A Model for Librarian Embedding in Faculty Blackboard Courses.” Libraries in the Digital Age 2012 Conference Proceedings, Zadar, Croatiav.12 (2012).
Xiao, Judy. “Integrating Information Literacy into Blackboard: Librarian-Faculty Collaboration for Successful Student Learning.”Academic Librarian 2: Singing in the Rain (ALSR) 2010 Conference Proceedings, Polytechnic University, Hong Kong (2010): 114-128.
Xiao, Judy. “Chad Boeninger: Have You Got a Game Plan?: Adapting Our Libraries to the Needs of Gamers.” Connections: The ACRL/NY Newsletter 27.1 (Winter 2009): 6
Xiao, Judy and John Iliff. " Intellectual Honesty in the Electronic Age". Conference paper published by the Best Practices in e-Learning Conference, University of Calgary, Canada, August 2004.
- Judy Xiao presented a paper co-authored with Alexei Matveev entitled, “Information Literacy in Business Education: A Case of Faculty-Librarian Collaboration in Teaching an Undergraduate International Management Course”, at the Northeast Business & Economics Association 2012 Conference, Port Jefferson, New York, from October 25 - October 27, 2012.
- Judy Xiao presented her paper entitled, “Collaborating for Student Success: A Model for Librarian Embedding in Faculty Blackboard Courses”, at the Libraries in the Digital Age 2012 Conference, Zadar, Croatia, from June 18 - June 22, 2012.
- Judy Xiao presented her paper entitled, “Teaching Cultural Competence in Nursing Care to Ensure Quality Health Care for All” at the REFORMA 2010 Joint Mini Conference: Cultural Competencies and Equity of Access: What Today’s Librarian Will Look Like Tomorrow. May 14th, 2010, New York.
- Judy Xiao presented her paper entitled, “Integrating Information Literacy into Blackboard: Librarian-Faculty Collaboration for Successful Student Learning” at the ALSA2010 Conference: Academic Librarian 2: Singing in the Rain – Conference Towards Future Possibilities. March 11-12, 2010, Hong Kong.
- Judy Xiao presented her paper, “Enhancing Student Learning via Blackboard: Using Blackboard to Extend One-Shot Library Instruction” at the City University of New York 4th Annual Information Technology Conference, John Jay College, December 2, 2005
- Judy Xiao, together with John Iliff and Doris Choy, presented their paper “Developing an Interactive Online Simulation to Help Faculty Use Blackboard 6.1” at the City University of New York 3rd Annual Information Technology Conference, John Jay College, November 19, 2004.
- Judy Xiao presented with John Iliff their paper “Intellectual Honesty in the Electronic Age” at the Best Practices in e-Learning Online Conference, August 23 to 27, 2004, University of Calgary, Canada.
- Judy Xiao was awarded (5/2/2012) a travel grant in the amount of $4,500 through the CSI Faculty Center for Professional Development to present her paper entitled, “Collaborating for Student Success: A Model for Librarian Embedding in Faculty Blackboard Courses”, at the Libraries in the Digital Age 2012 Conference, Zadar, Croatia, from June 18 - June 22, 2012.
- Judy and her library colleagues received a College of Staten Island CELT Mini-Grant Award, $2000
for the project titled "Online Blackboard Tutorial for Students",
- Judy received a PSC-CUNY 40 Research Award, $3,400 for the project titled " A Comparative Study of Information Literacy Education at MIT, USA and Tsinghua University, China ", 4/15/2009
- Judy received a PSC-CUNY 39 Research Award, $5,000 for the project titled "
Information Literacy Education at Tsinghua University: A Case Study of Progress and Innovation", 4/17/2008
- Judy Received a College of Staten Island CELT Mini-Grant Award, $498
for the project titled "Online Blackboard Tutorial for Students",
RECORD OF TEACHING:
College of Staten Island Library, 2003-present.
Designed and taught information resources and library research skills classes for students of various disciplines. Collaborated with faculty from Nursing, Education and Liberal Arts programs on using the Blackboard Learning System in Library Instruction, and successfully integrated library instruction components and course-specifc resources into the academic curriculum.
New York University School of Medicine, 2001-2002. As Coordinator of Computer Technology Instruction, designed and taught the following courses to the faculty, students and staff of NYU School of Medicine
1) Dreamweaver Basics
2) Dreamweaver Advanced
3) HTML Level I
4) HTML Level II
5) Windows 2000 Basics
6) Excel 2000
7) Learning PowerPoint
8) Email Using Outlook
9) Email Using Eudora
10) Library Resources and Services
RECORD OF SERVICE:
I. National & Regiona Organizations
President of Chinese American Librarians Association /Northeast Chapter (CALA/NE), 2011-2012
Member, Chinese American Librarians Association (CALA) Nominating Committee, 2012-2013
Board member, CALA Board of Directors, 2011-2012
Vice President/President-Elect of Chinese American Librarians Association /Northeast Chapter (CALA/NE), 2010-2011
Webmaster of CALA/Northeast Chapter, 2010-2012
Member of CALA Membership Management System Taskforce, 2009-2010
Secretary of CALA/Northeast Chapter, 2009-2010
Executive Board Member of the Association of College and Research Libraries/
New York (ACRL/NY), 2007-5/2009
Chair of ACRL/NY Access Services Discussion Group, 2007-5/2009
Member of ACRL/NY Annual Symposium Planning Committee, 2002-5/2009
II. CUNY- City University of New York
Member, CUNY+ Serials Committee, 2003-present
Member of LACUNY International Relations Roundtable, 2010-present
Library Association of the City University of New York Executive Council representative, 2004-2006
III. CSI - College of Staten Island
Representative to Faculty Senate/College Council, 2012-present
Representative to Faculty Senate/College Council, 9/2008-6/2011
Memeber, Modern China Studies Group, Fall 2007-
Member, Master of Arts in Liberal Studies Appeals Committee, Fall 2007
– CUNY Portal – A Gateway to All Things CUNY, Spring 2005, Fall 2006, Spring 2007
– Finding Health and Other Statistics on the Internet, Fall 2005, Spring 2006
– Getting Connected to Consumer Health Information, Spring & Fall 2003, Spring 2004Faculty Search Committee Member, Department of Business, Spring 2005
Search Committee Member, Department of Nursing, Spring 2004, Spring 2007
Library Representative, CSI New Student Orientation Expo, Fall 2006
Library Representative, Major Choices Fair, Spring 2005
IV. Library Department
Member, Library Appointments Committee, 9/2006 - 8/2009; 2012-present
Member, Library Search Committee, 9/2006-8/2009
Coordinator of Periodicals Services, 2003-2010
Coordinator of the Annual CSI Library Faculty Professional Development Program, 2003-2006.
Member, Web Committee, 2003-2008
Liaison, Nursing Department, 2003-present
MEMBERSHIP IN PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS:
American Library Association (ALA)
Library Association of the City University of New York (LACUNY)
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLAI)
North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG)
CALA: Chinese-American Librarians Association