PSY100 Research Credit Requirement
All students enrolled in PSY100 must participate in 3 reseach credits (RCs).
1 RC = 30 min. (1/2 hour) of participation in a research study (total participation time: 1 hour 30 min.).
This may be fulfilled by participating in a Research Study and/or by a Research Participation Alternative.
If you are not 18 years of age yet, do directly to a Research Participation Alternative.
All PSY100 students received their log-in information for the SONA system at their .cix.csi.cuny email addresses. Using your user name and password, log into the Research Participation System to view available research studies and current alternatives to research participation.
You must have completed your 3 Research Credit Requirement by the last day of classes. A grade of Incomplete (INC) will be given if this requirement is not completed.
Instructors will only see the number of the RC's each students has completed.
Your PSY100 instructor will not know if you participated in a Research Study or participated in a Research Study Alternative.
Go to the SONA System.
Psychology faculty at CSI conduct a number of research studies every semester. A research study typically involves filling out one or more questionnaires, completing tasks such as viewing film clips, listening to audio material, mental math or word problems.
NOTE: Meeting the Specific Requirements
- You must be at least 18 years of age to participate in research. If you are not 18 please see alternatives to research participation.
- Some experiments specify criteria for participation (i.e. smokers only, etc.). Sign up only for experiments for which you meet the specified requirements.
This is important! You will not receive the credit if you do not meet the criteria even if you show up.
TO PARTICIPATE, SIGN-UP:
- Use your account user name and password to log into the Research Participation System and view current studies under Study Sign-Up.
- If you meet study eligibility requirements, check the available timeslots to find a time to participate, then sign up.
- You will receive a sign-up confirmation e-mail and, 24 hours before your appointment, you will receive a reminder e-mail.
You should check this page often to see if any new studies have been scheduled. Studies will continue to be announced as researchers create their timeslots. Don't wait until the end of the semester or you may not be able to find a study to sign up for!
After you finish a study, the researcher will give you a "receipt" or a copy of the consent form that you signed; keep this receipt with you in case there is any question about your participation. DO NOT give this receipt to your instructor.
You may check for credits by clicking on "My Schedule/Credits" on the Research Participation System to see an itemized list of each credit you have been awarded. If your credits do not show up after 2 weeks of completing the experiment take your receipt to the lab coordinator, Ms. Vicky Baker (4S-108; Phone: 718-982-3783).
- If the experimenter is not there, wait at least 10 minutes. DOUBLE CHECK that you are in the right place (building and room #). You can go see the lab coordinator, Ms. Vicky Baker in 4S-108 (Phone: 718-982-3783) for help.
- If the experimenter did not show and did not notify you 24 hours in advance via email, you are entitled to the credit.
- If you need to cancel an appointment, you must do so 24 hours in advance via the Research Participation System.
If you choose not to participate in a research study, you can obtain credit via any of the following alternatives. You must log into the Research Participation System to sign up for any of these alternatives:
- Colloquium Series
- CITI Training Program
- Blackboard Psychology Journal Article and Quiz
1. Colloquium Series (1RC): 4 opportunities to attend the Department of Psychology speakers series covering current topics in psychology.
To see the Colloquium talks schedule for the current semester, go to the Home page of the CSI Department of Psychology.
Each of the 4 Colloquia will be held on the first Thursday of the Month, 12:15-1:15 pm, in 6S-138.
Sign up for the Colloquium Study on the Research Participation System and you must also sign the attendance sheet at the conclusion of the colloquium.
The Colloquium Series Study will be posted on the first Monday of the month with 50 seats available. You must sign up for this study no later than 24 hours before the event.
2. CITI Student Training (1RC): An on-line tutorial covering the history and ethics in research with human subjects.
To sign up for the CITI Student Training Study, log onto the Research Participation System and look for an available timeslot. 10 slots will be made available weekly.
This is an on-line Study! After you have signed up, you will be directed to the CITI website.
When you have completed the 9-module course, you must submit the completion report to me for your credit.
3. Blackboard Psychology Journal Article and Quiz (1RC): Download a psychology article from a peer-reviewed journal and then take an on-line quiz.
To sign up for the Journal Article & Quiz, log onto the Research Participation System and sign up. As the administrator, I will then enroll you into the Blackboard 8.0 Research Participation Credit organization.
When you enter Blackboard 8.0 and see that you belong to the Research Participation Credit organization, you can enter the organization and click on Documents. A folder with a journal article and a folder with the on-line quiz will be available. Download the journal article, take the quiz; when I see your grade, I will credit you with 1 Research Credit.
It is advised that after you have downloaded the journal article you complete the quiz promptly.
Journal articles and their corresponding quiz will be changed at the beginning of each month – don’t make the mistake of reading an article and then that quiz is no longer available.