Below are directions for The New York State Education Dept. TEACH on-line Certification process.
READ ALL OF THE GUIDELINES COMPLETELY BEFORE BEGINNING THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
Be informed that certification is not an automatic and speedy process. The NYSED will notify you on line about your evaluation history and issuing of your certificate. You must monitor your account.
Very truly yours,
Teacher Certification Officer
(in the purple box on the right hand side of screen):
- Visit The New York State Education Department TEACH on-line Certification website.
- Create an account and register online with a username and password.
- The self-registration process will ask for your:
a) First and Last Name
b) Date of Birth
c) Email Address
- Generate a Preferred User ID, Password Reset Information and a Password (at least 8 characters, one of which must be a number).
- Complete all the required fields in the registration form in order to continue.
First Log in:
- When you first log in, you will be asked to enter your password and then to create a new password. Then, enter your social security number so the system can match up all of your records.
- Enter the TEACH online service.
- Verify/Update Profile
- Submit Application for Fingerprint Clearance
- Account Information
- Apply for a Certificate/ Duplicate Certificate
Verify/ Update Profile will ask for your Education and Employment information. Enter all the information from a baccalaureate to present. The College of Staten Island is an Approved New York Teacher Certification Program.
- Although “Program” is not a required field, you will need to select a Program in order to proceed with the appropriate certificate application. Consult the Program Code Finder to determine the appropriate code.
- Enter all full-time, paid teaching experience (in both public and private schools).
If you have not submitted your application for fingerprint clearance, you can do so by paper. Your certificate will not be issued until your fingerprints have cleared with the State. If you were fingerprinted by the City, or will be fingerprinted by the City for employment or a substitute license, you must submit the OSPRA 104 form to have your clearance to the state; the City does not automatically forward your clearance to the State.
STEP 1: Verify/ Update Profile
Update your education and employment history.
STEP 2 : Select Certificate(s)
Select your Certificate Title
- Select your Area of Interest (e.g. Classroom Teacher)
- Select your Subject Area (e.g. English, Childhood Education)
- Select the Grade Level (e.g. Adolescent 7-12, Childhood Grades 1-6)
- Select the Title (e.g. English Language Arts 7-12, Childhood Education Grades 1-6)
- Select your Certificate Type (e.g. Initial Certificate, or Professional Certificate)
- Initial certificate: select this certificate if you have taught for less than 3 years.
- Professional certificate: if you have taught for at least 3 years.
You must (Add) each certificate you want to apply for.
Select “Pathway: Approved Teacher Preparation Program.”
STEP 3: Sign Affidavit
Answer all questions and click on (Sign Affidavit)
. By signing this affidavit, you are confirming that the information you have provided is true and contains no misrepresentations.
STEP 4: Confirm and Sign Application
Make sure that you have completed the correct application and click on (Sign Application).
STEP 5: Make Payment
It is highly advised to pay by credit card. If you want to pay by money order, you must print out the payment confirmation page to accompany the money order you will send to NYSED. Credit card transactions are easier to track.
The next page will show “Application Transaction Summary.”
This lists the pathway you have chosen and all the requirements under that pathway. This will help you keep track of what you need to do in order to obtain your certificate.
The “college recommendation” is an electronic endorsement entered in the NYSED Web Site.
- First and Last Name as registered with CSI
- Telephone number
- Social Security Number
- Certificate area of interest, subject area, grade level and title
- Certificate-initial or professional
- Degree to be awarded
- Graduation date (January 30, June 31, or August 31)
- If you are applying for Professional Certification, how many years of full time employment did you complete?
- Are you in the Supervision/Administration Program?
- Years of work experience
- Are you applying for initial or professional certification?
- Title of certification applying for
If you have applied for a certificate but have not yet graduated, the status of your certificate application will be “Not Ready for Review.” Once your graduation is posted, and you have met all the requirements and have institutional recommendation, your status will change to “Ready for Review” and NYSED will then review your application. If you are having problems using TEACH, report them online directly to the TEACH Tech Support Web site.
- 518-486-6041: Teach Tech helpline
- 518-474-3901: Certification / application/ your history questions, etc.
The information below is provided to assist you in the application process:
- The “college /institutional recommendation” indicates that you have completed an “approved teacher education” at the College of Staten Island.
- This recommendation cannot be electronically entered until your graduation date is posted on your transcript.
For professional certification you must provide a letter from the principal that you completed “3 years of continuous satisfactory teaching.”
Refer to the program codes. The correct code is needed for the application.
You can only apply for certification in the area that has been endorsed on your transcript.
Refer to the NYSED Website for information and requirements for certification.
Below are links to .pdf information sheets to help guide you through the application process depending on your education program:
When should I begin the application process?
You can begin right away. Once you have registered with TEACH, you will be able to see what is on your record with the State.
How soon will my certificate be issued?
Initial certificates are often issued automatically on line once all requirements have been met. Professional certificates take longer because a NYSED certification specialist has to manually credit for the teaching experience you list.
My application states it is still “Pending Final Review” or “Not Ready for Review.” What should I do?
There could be a number of reasons why your certificate has not been issued. If you can view the evaluation history, this will often tell you which of your requirements are still deficient. Applications will not be ready for review if fees have not been paid, institutional recommendations not given, or all certification exams are not passed.
Why don't I have institutional recommendation from The College of Staten Island on my TEACH record?
Institutional recommendations are given electronically and online once your graduation has be officially posted by the Office of the Registrar. Note that it may take up to a month for the college to process and enter your recommendation.
It states that the State does not have my fingerprint clearance on file, but I was fingerprinted by the New York City Department of Education.
The New York City Department of Education and the New York State Education Department are separate entities and do not share criminal history of applicants due to privacy issues. If you have been cleared by the NYCDOE, you must submit an OSPRA 104 form to the City in order to authorize your clearance to be forwarded to the State; there is no fee with this form.
How do I apply for my Professional Certificate online?
As of January 2007, NYSED will no longer accept paper applications. All applicants applying for their certificates are advised to do so online via “Certificate Progression” pathway if they have a Master's degree. The application fee is $100.00.
Note: The code numbers provided are the most commonly used for CSI. The codes indicate the endorsement on your transcript; degree type, area of study and grade level.
Contact your program coordinator if you have questions concerning the correct endorsement on your transcript. This will ensure the correct selection.
Bachelor of Arts
25967 BA- Adol. Ed. (Eng)
25962 BA- Adol .Ed. (History)
25955 BA- SLS Early Childhood- 2
25966 BA- SLS Childhood 1-6
25963 BA Adol. 7-12 (Spanish)
33973 BA- Adol. 7-12 (Italian)
Bachelor of Science
25965Adol. Ed. (Bio)
25964 Adol. Ed. (Chemistry)
25961 Adol. Ed. (Math.)
Master of Science in Education
27575 Adol Ed (Biology)
27571 Adol Ed (English)
27573 Adol. Ed. (Math)
27569 Adol Ed. (Social Studies)
27574 Alt. Cert. Adol. Ed. Math (Trans B)
27576 Alt. Cert. Adol. Ed. Bio (Trans B)
27572 Alt. Cert Adol. English (Trans B)
27570 Alt. Cert. Adol. Ed. Social Studies (Trans B)
31116 Alt. Cert Adol. Social Studies (Trans B)
27566 Childhood Education
31115 Special Ed. Middle School – Generalist
27567 Special Ed. Childhood}-SWD grades 1-6
32157 Leadership in Education, School Building License
32158 Leadership in Education, School Building License