This section of WestWeb lists online Western photographic resources, as well as links to pages of photographs in each of the WestWeb categories. All the photographs on WestWeb's pages are displayed with their sources noted in their descriptions; none of these images are the property of WestWeb.
This section is currently under construction, so please check back soon when we hope to have it completed!
WestWeb is the property of Catherine Lavender.
Text and Content Copyright © Catherine Lavender 1995-2001.
WestWeb graphics Copyright © Warrick J. Bell 1996-2001.
Graphic design and layout by Catherine Lavender and Warrick Bell.
Return to Main WestWeb Menu
Online Photographic Sites
- The U.S. National Archives' online Photographs of the American West, 1861-1912.
- Dever Public Library's Western History Photography Collection is browseable and searchable online, and prints of photos may be ordered.
- Neal Ulevich's Graves West provides descriptions and photographs of the graves of famous Westerners.
- Photographer/designer Glen Sheehan/RedSam provides "Vanishing Nevada: 22 photos from a week exploring Nevada and its Great Basin," and "Boom to Bust: Photographs from Bodie, CA and Las Vegas, NV."
- An exhibition on Bill Belknap: Photographer of the Colorado Plateau, from Northern Arizona University.
- California Heritage Digital Image Access Project is a digital archive containing photographs, pictures, and manuscripts from the collections of the Bancroft Library.
- The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's "Crossing the Frontier" photography exhibit site.
- The Boston University School of Public Health has exhibits on Navajo Uranium Miners and Toxic Tours of Texas in their Department of Environmental Health Gallery.
- The index to the U.S. National Archives' online photographic exhibits.
- The Library of Congress' American Memory Project.
- Canada's Digital Collections (Les Collections numérisées du Canada).
- Ansel Adams: Fiat Lux online exhibition from The University of California-Irvine.
- Bengt's Photo Page is not, strictly speaking, an archive, but it is a wonderful resource on photography in general, and has links to many archives and photographic societies around the world.
WestWeb Photographic Categories
Children of the Sun Ancient Peoples of the American West
In Kiva and Hogan Native Peoples of the American West
The Land of Eldorado The Spanish Borderlands
North of the West The Canadian West
Empires of Expansion The European West
Earth Laid Bare Western Environment
Land of Plenty West as Space and Place
Where Seldom is Heard a Discouraging Word Frontier as Place and Process
Making It Their Own Women in the West
Where Men Were Men Gender and Sexuality in the West
Houses of Dawn and Sky Western Cultural Studies
The Golden Mountain The Asian West
Tierra Nuestra The Chicano West
Other Great Migrations The African-American West
Many Bloodied Plains Western Military History
Ranch-hands and Rangers The Cowboy West
CEOs in Cowboy Hats Western Extraction Industries
Promised Land Western Religious History
Contested Terrains Western Political and Legal History
The World Rushed In Settlement and Expansion into the West
Enterprise of Expansionism Western Economic History
Measuring the West Western Surveys and Exploration
You Are Here Mapping the American West
Crossing the Great Divide Transportation in the West
The Settled West Towns and Communities in Western History
The Immigrants' West European Immigration and Ethnicity in the West
From Trinity to Hanford The Atomic West
Harvesting the West Agriculture, Mariculture, and the Fur Trade in the West
Return to Main WestWeb Menu