Nan M. Sussman Ph.D
- 2012 Sussman, N.M. Re-forming family among re-migrants. Hong Kongers come home. In K. B Chan (ed.) The International Handbook of Chinese Families. London: Springer. (in press)
- 2011 Sussman, N.M. & Truong, N. Body image and eating disorders among immigrants. In V.R. Preedy, R.R. Watson, & C.R. Martin (eds.) The Handbook of Behavior, Food and Nutrition(pp.3241-3254). London: Springer Science+Business Media. DOI 10.1007/978-0-387-92271-3_202
- 2007 Sussman, N.M. Identity shifts as a consequence of crossing cultures: Hong Kong Chinese migrants return home. In K.B. Chan, J. Walls, & D. Hayward (eds.). East-West identities: Globalization, localization, & hybridization. Pp. 121-147. Leiden, The Netherlands: Brill Academic Publishers.
- 2001 Sussman, N.M. Sojourners in another country : The psychological roller-coaster of cultural transitions. Online readings in Psychology and Culture, Unit 8. Retrieved from: http://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/orpc/vol8/iss1/1
- 1999 Sussman, N.M. Taking your product into the Japanese Market. In S.M. Fowler (Ed.), Intercultural Sourcebook: Cross-cultural training Methods, vol.2. Yarmouth, ME: Intercultural Press.
2011 Sussman, N.M. Working abroad and expatriate adjustment: Three disciplinary lenses for exploring the psychological transition cycle of international employees. Social and Personality Psychology Compass, 5/7, 393-409. DOI 10.1111/j.1751-9004.2011.00361.x.
- 2011 Sussman, N.M. & Truong, N. Please extinguish all cigarettes: Effects of acculturation on
smoking attitudes among Russian and Chinese immigrants. International Journal of
Intercultural Relations, 35(2), 163-178..
- 2007 Sussman, N.M., Truong, N., & Lim, J. Who Experiences ‘America the beautiful’? Ethnicity Moderating the Effect of Acculturation on Body Image and Risks for Eating Disorders among Immigrant Women. International Journal of Intercultural Research, 31 (1), 29-49.
- 2003 Altshuler, L., Sussman, N.M., & Kachur, E. Assessing changes in intercultural sensitivity among physician trainees using the Intercultural Development Inventory. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 27, 387-401.
- 2002 Sussman, N.M. Testing the Cultural Identity Model of the cultural transition cycle: Sojourners return home. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 26 (4), 391-408.
- 2001 Sussman, N.M. Repatriation transitions: Psychological preparedness, cultural identity, & attributions among American managers. International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 25(2), 109-123.
- 2000 Sussman, N. M. The dynamic nature of cultural identity throughout cultural transitions: Why home is not so sweet. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 4, 355-373.
- 2000 Sussman, N. M. & Tyson, D. Sex and power: Gender differences in computer-
mediated interactions. Computers in Human Behavior, 16, 381-394.
- 1990 Smith, S.H., Whitehead, G.I., and Sussman, N.M. The positivity bias in attributions:
Two cross-cultural investigations. Journal of Cross- Cultural Psychology, 21, 283-
- 1986 Sussman, N.M. Re-entry research and training: Methods and Implications.
International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 10, 235-254.
- 1984 Smith, S.H., Whitehead, G.I., and Sussman, N.M. Perception of female and male
success in the United States and Third World nations. Sex Roles, 10, 903-911.
- 1982 Sussman, N.M. and Rosenfeld, H.M. Influence of Culture, language and sex on
conversational distance. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 42, 66-74.
- 1978 Sussman, N.M. and Rosenfeld, H.M. Touch, justification and sex: The
aversiveness of spatial and tactile violations. Journal of Social Psychology,
NON-REFEREED BOOKS, ARTICLES, and CREATIVE WORK
- 2011 Sussman, N.M. (July) Resilient returnees: Hong Kongers come home. (Invited article). Hong Kong Journal, 23, Carnegie Endowment for Peace.
- 2011 Sussman, N.M. (February 8) Best of both worlds. (Invited Opinion/Editorial essay). South China Morning Post (Hong Kong), p. A9.
- 2009 Sussman, N.M. Personal appreciation and farewell to Edward Hall (1914-2009). International Journal of Intercultural Relations, 33(6), 449.
- 2004 Sussman, N.M. Home Sweet Home?: Cultural Transitions, Identity, and Stress in Hong Kong Chinese Re-migrants. American Psychological Society Observer, October, 24-25.
- 2003 Featured interviewee in video: Journeying Home: Perspective on study abroad and
reverse culture shock. CET Academic Programs.
- 1986 Sussman, N.M. Selling in a foreign market: The culture factor. The Export Advisor.
- 1985 Sussman, N. M. From gaijin to one of the gang: Going back home after
an overseas assignment. The Journal of the American Chamber of Commerce
in Japan, 53-59.
- 1985 Kott, M. & Sussman, N.M. Book review of Zanger V. V. Face-to-face: The Cross-
Cultural Workbook. Rowley, MA: Newbury House Publishers in International
Journal of Intercultural Relations, 10, 379-380.
- 1982 Radio interviewee about culture and international business. “Re-wiring Your World with
Martin Agronsky.” National Public Radio.
- 1980 Sussman, N. M. American Social Behavior: Sources of cross-cultural
misunderstanding - a video-tape and training manual. Washington, D.C.:
- 1977 Sussman, N.M. The Use of Psychologists in the Voir Dire Process, Washington D.C.:
Federal Judicial Center.
- 2010 Sussman, N.M. Confucius and Socrates: Ancient commentary on the current issue
of return migration. Social Transformations in Chinese Societies.
- 2010 Sussman, N.M. & Truong, N. Self-concept changes among sojourners: A longitudinal
investigation of the Cultural Identity Model of cultural transitions.