Library Workshops run during the mid-semester period (Monday October 16, 2017 through Thursday October 19, 2017) and towards the end of the semester (Monday November 27 through Thursday November 30, 2017). There will be no CC CLUE library workshops on Fridays.
Although these workshops are designed for English 111 students, they are also appropriate for those taking introductory level and immersion courses.
There are 3 different Library Workshops, all worth CC CLUE credit. Workshops are one hour in length and include a quiz at the end that will be sent to your instructor.
The names and dates of the workshops are below.
All 12 workshops will take place in the Library Learning Lab, 1L-214.
1. Fake News: Thinking Critically About Information Sources (CC CLUE Event)
In this workshop, students will learn how to recognize “fake news” and evaluate information sources for college research and everyday life. There will be a special focus on identifying credible information found on social media, as well as different types of news sources and issues relating to credibility, bias, propaganda, and hoax sites.
- Mon Oct 16, 2017- 6:30pm-7:30pm
- Wed Oct 18, 2017- 10:10am-11:10am
- Tues Nov 28, 2017- 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Thurs Nov 30, 2017- 10:00am-11:00am
2. Getting Started on your Research (CC CLUE Event)
Students will be introduced to the discovery tool, OneSearch, to find books and articles, as well as specific databases to find reference material and popular and scholarly articles. By the end of the workshop, students will be able to locate the research materials necessary to complete their assignments.
- Tues Oct 17, 2017- 4:40pm-5:40pm
- Thurs Oct 19, 2017- 11:20am-12:20pm
- Tues Nov 28, 2017- 4:40pm-5:40pm
- Wed Nov 29, 2017- 11:40am-12:40pm
3. Introduction to Citation Styles and Avoiding Plagiarism (CC CLUE Event)
This workshop will discuss the issue of plagiarism and the importance of citing properly. By the end of the workshop, students will be able to avoid plagiarism and cite their sources in MLA and other citation styles.
- Tues Oct 17, 2017- 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Thurs Oct 19, 2017- 3:00pm-4:00pm
- Mon Nov 27, 2017- 6:30pm-7:30pm
- Thurs Nov 30, 2017- 3:00pm-4:00pm
In addition to our CC CLUE Workshops, the Library also offers a number of interactive, online tutorials with a quiz that can printed and given to faculty:
Please choose a date from the calendar below and select on “Click here to sign up!” to register.
For further information, contact Prof. Mark Aaron Polger at 718.982.4065 or email@example.com