STUDENT EVENTS AND NEWS
LINKS, TOOLS AND
Phi Alpha Theta | ΦΑΘ
M.A. IN HISTORY
Phi Alpha Theta (ΦΑΘ) | Alpha Xi Theta (ΑΞΘ)
- Phi Alpha Theta Mission Statement
- (From www.phialphatheta.org)
- Phi Alpha Theta is a professional society whose mission is to promote the study of history through the encouragement of research, good teaching, publication and the exchange of learning and ideas among historians. They seek to bring students, teachers and writers of history together for intellectual and social exchanges, which promote and assist historical research and publication by our members in a variety of ways.
- Alpha Xi Theta (ΑΞΘ)
- Alpha Xi Theta (ΑΞΘ) is the local chapter of the Phi Alpha Theta (ΦΑΘ) History Honors Society at the College of Staten Island.
- Biennial Conventions
- At its biennial convention, undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to meet distinguished historians and to present their own research papers. Students and professors have the opportunity to meet others interested in history, and in their own fields of specialization, while enjoying the social and intellectual dialogue that occurs. The biennial convention is highlighted by special events and tours of sites of historical interest.
- The next biennial convention will be held at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida, January 3-7, 2012.
- Local Chapter Activities
- On the local level, each chapter of the Society hosts many activities for the benefit and enjoyment of its members. Local chapters sponsor guest speakers, forums, debates and scholarly seminars, local campus publications, and other programs in cooperation with local and area Historical societies.
- Membership Requirements
- Alpha Xi Theta is the local chapter at the College of Staten Island. We received our charter in the Fall of 2010.
- There is a one-time initiation fee of $50.00 per student which is payable at the time of initiation. This fee includes a membership certificate and four issues of the journal, The Historian.
- Membership in Phi Alpha Theta is a lifetime membership.
- Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate students must complete a minimum of 12 semester hours (4 courses) in History achieve a minimum GPA of 3.5 in History and a GPA of 3.0 or better overall. Eligible candidates must also be in the top 35% of their class. Students enrolled in an online program are not eligible. Membership is not limited to History majors.
- Graduate Students
- Graduate students should have completed a minimum of 12 semester hours towards their Master's Degree in History, have a GPA of better than 3.5, and shall have completed approximately 30% of the residence requirements for the Master's Degree.
- For more information or to apply for membership contact:
- Graduate Student President Eileen Gupta (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Undergraduate Student President Deryn Cro (email@example.com)
- Upcoming Events:
- Click here for the Listing of Phi Alpha Theta and other related Events.
- Visit our Facebook page -- www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Phi-Alpha-Theta-Alpha-Xi-Theta-Chapter/182065898485079! Search for "Phi Alpha Theta: Alpha Xi Theta Chapter."