American Experience/Social Sciences--The Frontier
HSS 502, Fall 2000
Professor Catherine Lavender || The College of Staten Island of CUNY
- Wednesday, September 20
- Landscape Reading, High Rock Park
Hike along the Lavender Trail in Staten Island's Greenbelt; climb Mount Moses.
- Wednesday, October 4
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, Manhattan
Class tour of The American Wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, study of Hudson River School landscape paintings and other built American landscapes (Pacific Northwest, Frank Lloyd Wright, Sculpture Garden)
- Wednesday, October 25
- National Museum of the American Indian, Manhattan
Class tour of the collections of the Smithsonian's The National Museum of the American Indian.
Click here for Professor Lavender's handout about the trip.
- Wednesday, November 8
- Architectural Walking Tour of Manhattan and of Brooklyn Bridge
Class visit to The New York Transit Museum, Brooklyn, a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and tour of Cass Gilbert's Woolworth Building, with side-trips to The Skyscraper Museum, the Trinity Church on Wall Street, and Federal Hall in Manhattan.
- Links: Brooklyn Bridge Cam (so you can see what it looks like right now); The Insider's Brooklyn Bridge Page gives some historical information; Gary Feuerstein's Bridge Facts and Information tells about the building of the bridge, including information about the Bridge's architects and accounts of accidents during its construction; E. T. Dankwa's incredibly cool New York Skyscrapers is a clickable map with images of the Woolworth Building, Flatiron, Empire State, and other examples of skyscrapers in NYC; Jeffery Howe's Woolworth Page provides wonderful vintage images; Fordham U. student John Butkowski's Woolworth Building Page, part of the wonderful Medieval New York site, gives valuable information about the building.