The College of Staten Island (CSI) Library is an academic library that serves a diverse population of students, staff and faculty, as well as the general public.
Library patrons can expect that the Library will protect their privacy and rights to research and education in a facility that supports learning in both group and individual settings. To ensure that all patrons and visitors are able to use library resources and services effectively, patrons must take responsibility for their behavior.
Please Follow These Policies When Using CSI Library
Some behavior and activity limits the Library’s ability to offer services. Therefore, patrons of the Library are asked to refrain from activities including, but not limited to:
- Disorderly or disruptive conduct
- Mutilation, defacement or theft of library property
- Use of furniture, library equipment and facilities in a manner for which they were not intended or designed
- Harassing or threatening others
- Obscene, profane or abusive language or acts
- Smoking, or possession or use of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Intoxication or impairment
- Failure to evacuate in an emergency or during drill
The Department of the Library asks that all patrons respect the rights of each individual to study and do research in a peaceful environment. People who are found to be violating these policies will be asked to refrain from such behavior.
If a person’s actions continue to disturb library patrons or staff, the person will be asked to leave the Library. Public Safety will be notified in instances where a person’s actions or behavior might jeopardize the safety of any library patrons or staff member, the reputation and property of the university, or for continued noncompliance of the above CSI Library policies.
- Computer stations with Internet access are located on all three floors of the Library. Patrons are expected to use the Internet for academic purposes only. Use of all library computers must comply with City University of New York’s Computer Use Policy.
- Food and drink are not allowed in the library, with the exception of bottled water. Please consume food and all other drinks outside the building.
- Please keep conversation and noise at a low level. The third floor of the library is reserved for silent study. Group study should occur in group study rooms on the second floor or on the first floor of the library. Please use headphones when listening to music or watching a video.
- Cell phone talking in the Library is disruptive to other library patrons and is prohibited. Please turn your cell phone to vibrate or turn your ringer off when you enter the building.
- The Library welcomes children who are accompanied by a parent or adult caregiver. The supervision, safety, and security of children are the responsibility of the adult guardian.
- Please do not interfere with Library employees in the performance of their duties. This includes engaging in inappropriate conversation or behavior, sexual advances or physical and/or verbal harassment.
- All library patrons are expected to adhere to the City University of New York’s “Campus Behavior Code: Henderson Rules,” located in the CSI Student Handbook, The Gazetteer, under the section, Student Rights & Responsibilities and College Policies.
Portions of this text have been adapted from the Shoen Library at Marylhurst University
Violation of this policy will result in the loss of library privileges, which includes an eight-week loss of privileges to check-out group study rooms, laptops, calculators, textbooks, dvds, inter-library loan materials, and circulating books.