With the assistance of the CUNY Office of Library Services, all CUNY Libraries now have access to the New York Times Academic Pass , which makes it available to all CUNY students, faculty and staff. The Academic Pass gives anyone with a valid cuny.edu email address a year long subscription to the New York Times Digital, essentially good for 52 weeks from the date you activate it. While this subscription includes apps for mobile phones, there are a few restrictions; namely, no tablet app, e-reader editions,Premium Crosswords or The New York Times Crosswords apps, and it limits the number of downloadable articles from the New York Times archive (1923-1980).
To Get Started:
1. Click on “Register” to create a NYTimes.com account using your college email address.
2. At the bottom of the Welcome page, click “Continue.”
3. If your email address is from an eligible college,you will then see “Check your email.” Look for our message, Confirm Your Email Address,which should arrive within 15 minutes.
4. Click on the link in our confirmation email.This will simultaneously verify your eligibility and grant your Academic Pass, which will provide access to NYTimes.com for your campus designated period.
5. If you don’t get our confirmation email, check your spam filter. If you still do not receive it,send an email from your college email account to email@example.com
If you have previously registered on NYTimes.com, but have not registered with your campus email address, you will need to change your account information.To do so,log into NYTimes.com and then click on your login name on the very upper right. When the dropdown box opens, click on “My Account” and change your email address to your campus email account where indicated on the page, then hit the SAVE button.
For Returning Users
Once you have followed the steps for first-time users and activated an Academic Pass provided by your college,it should allow you full access for 52 weeks (364 days) with no further action on your part. However, if for any reason while on NYTimes.com you are served the message that you are reaching the limit of free articles on the site, please do the following:
Make sure you are logged into NYTimes.com with your college email address. Goto nytimes.com/passes. Your pass should again be active.
Your Academic Pass includes access to The New York Times via the NYTimes smartphone apps. To download your smartphone app, visit: nytimes.com/mobile. Once you have registered and selected your Academic Pass, you can then access nytimes.com from anywhere at any time during the life of that pass from most web capable devices*
-Wilma L. Jones, Ph.D.
Associate Dean & Chief Librarian