SS Acadia made 35 trips to the Mediterranean from 1875-89. Constructed of iron, clipper bow, 1 funnel and 3 masts. Her register tonnage was 592, date and port of initial registry was; 6th December, 1866. Glasgow. The engine was built by D. & W. Henderson's "Finnieston Steamship Works", in Glasgow. The Acadia had a single screw, and was powered by a compound engine, delivering 96 HP., which gave her a service speed of 9 knots.
Rebuilt: lengthened 264.8ft x 26.4ft x 20.2ft, tonnage 1,082 gross, 697 register. Compound engine by D. & W. Henderson. cylinders; 53 and 29½ inc. Stroke; 3 feet. 200 HP. Registered after rebuilding on Aug. 18, Glasgow
History of the Anchor line:
History of the Anchor Line:
Anchor Line Labels:
Anchor Line from ShipsList http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/anchor.html
Shipyard that built the ships: http://www.portglasgow4u.co.uk/shipyards/lithgows.html
The MacDonald Collection: Ships and Shipping
Merchant Fleets, vol.9, Anchor Line
South St. Seaport Museum Library:
Dobson, David. Title Ships from Scotland to North America, 1830-1860. Imprint Baltimore, MD : Printed for Clearfield by Genealogical Pub. Co., c2002.
- NYPL HSSL Call # *R-USLHG APS 03-3955