SERVICES & POLICIES
Archives & Special Collections: 718.982.4128
Please be advised that it is not possible for staff to conduct in-depth research on your behalf.
Records for all holdings of books and printed materials appear in the CUNY+ Catalog.
Materials in the catalog that display the location as "Special Collections" may be accessed through the Circulation Desk on the 1st floor. These materials are restricted to in-Library use, and may be borrowed for a two-hour period with a valid CUNY ID. Materials that display the location as "Archives 1L-216" should be requested in the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room in 1L-216 (2nd floor). These materials do not circulate, and must be used in the Reading Room.
Archival collections (but not books and printed materials) can be located using the Archives Catalog.
Generally, access to manuscript materials is provided solely through the Archives & Special Collections Reading Room located on the Library's second floor in Room 216.
The Reading Room is staffed Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. when the library is open. Appointments are not required, however, calling in advance will allow staff members to prepare for your visit. Appointments for times outside of regular business hours may be made by special arrangement.
Please be aware that you will need to present current photographic identification to security personnel in order to enter the CSI Library.
· Each researcher using the collections of the Archives & Special Collections Department must complete a registration form once per calendar year. Please sign in at the registration desk once daily. Researchers must provide acceptable photographic identification to be held at the registration desk while materials are used.
· Archival materials do not circulate and must be used in the Reading Room.
· You may bring pencils, notepads and laptop computers into the reading room. All outerwear, bags, loose papers, folders, pens, highlighters and other personal items must be left in the coat area of the reading room.
· Food and drink are not allowed in the reading room.
· The staff of the Archives & Special Collections Department is not responsible for items left unattended in the Reading Room.
· If you wish to order a photocopy or other type of reproduction, please fill out a request form available at the registration desk. Requests will be considered so long as duplication can be performed without damage to materials and the requested duplication does not violate donor agreements or copyright laws.
· Permission to publish materials taken from the Archives & Special Collections Department must be obtained from the Coordinator.
· The Archives & Special Collections staff reserve the right to inspect all research material and personal articles before a patron leaves the Reading Room.
· Access and use of materials may be restricted due to applicable laws, donor request or to protect privacy, confidentiality or proprietary rights. Access and use may also be restricted if materials are in poor condition or unprocessed.
Handling the Collections
· Call slips to request materials are available at the registration desk.
· Please notify the staff when you are finished using materials.
· Please make sure that your hands are clean before using materials.
· When using archival materials, maintain the exact order of folders in a box and of items within a folder. If items seem to be out of order, please notify the staff.
· Exercise care to prevent damage to materials. Materials must not be written on, traced on, leaned on, altered, newly folded or handled in a way that may cause damage.
· Please use only paper slips for marking your place, as rubber bands, post-it notes, paper clips and other objects may cause damage. Please remove the paper slips prior to returning to material to the registration desk.
· If you need assistance with the handling of any material, please contact the staff.
Photocopy requests will be considered so long as duplication can be performed without damage to materials and the requested duplication does not violate donor agreements or copyright laws.
Photocopies cost $.10 per page for 1-25 pages, $.15 per page for 26-50 pages and $.20 per page for 51 or more pages. All photocopying is completed by staff. Photocopy requests are limited to a maximum of 75 pages per day. Ultimately, the sum of all photocopy requests cannot exceed 10% of the collection's volume or 1 chapter, whichever is less. Orders may not be filled on the same day they are placed. Postage and handling costs are additional.
We accept cash or checks and money orders payable to Archives - College of Staten Island Library.
College of Staten Island, CUNY